Policies & FAQ
Your Madicon membership entitles you to attend programming and special events and to help yourself to refreshments in the Consuite. Your membership also comes with the assumption that you will agree to the following.
!IMPORTANT! - New COVID Policy
In the interest of safety, all Madicon attendees will be required to wear a mask in all convention areas. Masks will be provided at registration for those who do not have one. Failure to follow these requirements could result in removal from the convention space.
Behavior and Harrassment Policy
Behave politely. Madicon is a family friendly convention. We will not tolerate public profanity, public nudity, displays of violence, or overtly anti-social behavior. Speak, act, and dress accordingly. If guests do not wish to talk, sign autographs, or have pictures taken, try again later.
Madicon is dedicated to providing a harassment-free convention experience for everyone, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, disability, physical appearance, body size, race, religion, or affiliation. We do not tolerate harassment of convention participants in any form. Harassment of any kind, including physical, verbal, and internet-based, will not be tolerated. If you are unsure of what constitutes harassment, err on the side of caution. If someone tells you to stop doing something or to leave them alone, do so immediately. If you experience or witness harassment or have other concerns about attendees’ behavior, please seek out a staff member or go to the Reg Desk.
Respect your fellow con attendees (even if you disagree with them, and it’s fine to respectfully disagree!), and generally behave decently and use common sense. Violation of this policy or behavior that is violent or extremely disrespectful or disruptive may result in the revocation of your Madicon membership without a refund, and we reserve the right to ban you from future Madicon events.
1) Wear your badge at all times. It is your pass, and without it you will not be allowed into con events, the Vendor Room, Consuite, and the LAN room. Treat it like it’s your ID or your keys. Turn found badges in to registration, and check there if you lose yours (we may ask for your ID—please don’t be offended if we do not immediately recognize you). At any time when you are on convention premises you may be asked to show your badge if it is not visible. If you share your badge with another person, both of you may be barred from Madicon, and no refunds will be given.
2) All participants must obey the Madicon Weapons Policy found below.
3) No smoking, vaping, food, or drink is allowed in convention function rooms. No food or drink should be taken out of the Consuite. Smokers must go out to designated smoking areas. Please dispose of cigarettes in the appropriate receptacles.
4) Madicon has a great reputation with Festival for being kind and gentle to the building and facilities. Please help us maintain a good relationship with Festival and JMU and help us out by cleaning up after yourself. No open fires are permitted in the convention center.
5) Obey parking signs and traffic markings. Do not block travel lanes or other vehicles. If unsure of parking availability, please inquire at the Registration Desk.
6) All Madicon attendees are responsible for the security of their own persons and property with regards to injury, loss, theft, or damage. Madicon reserves the right to clear each room after an event or panel. Attendees will not be allowed to remain in the room for the next event.
7) No merchandise may be sold except in the Vendor Room.
8) Do not block doorways or hallways. If you are asked to make way, do so.
9) Madicon does not offer any child-care services or child rates due to the low number of child attendees we get. All children under 12 must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in the convention area. Parents will be held accountable for their children’s actions. Please make sure that your child carries some form of written identification and your contact information so that Madicon staff may contact you in the event that you become separated. Some art and merchandise may depict violence or nudity. Some programming may be of an adult nature and will be marked as such.
10) Madicon’s guest list, program items, and times are subject to change without prior notice. Please check our whiteboard at Registration for the most current available information and changes.
11) Only service animals are allowed in the convention areas. Service animals are defined as animals that are individually trained to perform tasks for people with disabilities such as guiding people who are blind, alerting people who are deaf, pulling wheelchairs, alerting and protecting a person who is having a seizure or performing other special tasks. Service animals are working animals, not pets. No other animals are allowed in convention areas.
12) Ask a Madicon staff member if you are unsure whether something you have in mind is permitted. Tell a Madicon staff member if you have a problem with something going on at the convention. Our aim is to make your convention experience a pleasant one that you will want to repeat next year.
13) Know exit locations. If the fire emergency alarm and strobe warning lights are activated, evacuate the convention center immediately in a calm and orderly manner. Do not stop to gather up property before leaving. Once outside, do not re-enter the building until authorities give the all clear.
Madicon permits the wear and carrying of weaponry as part of costumes. Madicon also requires responsible handling of weapons. Persons who do not follow the guidelines shown below may forfeit their convention memberships and be asked to leave Madicon.
1) Please keep all weapons sheathed/holstered/to your side/close to your body when not posing for a photograph or in the Costume Contest. This is for both the safety of your prop and the safety of others in what can sometimes be a cramped convention space. If you are bringing a prop weapon to Madicon, please bring it to Registration for approval and so our security knows you have it.
2) Do not fire any projectile weapons in Madicon convention space, either inside or outside the convention center. This includes all bows, water guns, Nerf guns, Silly String cans, ping‐pong ball projectors, CO2 pistols, rubber‐band guns, marshmallow shooters, pea shooters, spud guns, or any other device designed to launch, shoot, emit, project, or fire an object or burst of gas. Weapons designed solely to give off light and sound may be allowed if the intensity of the light and/or sound is determined by Madicon staff not to be dangerous or disruptive. Lasers and air horns may not be used at Madicon.
3) Do not draw, wave, aim, or brandish a weapon in public areas of the convention. First offenders will be asked to properly stow the weapon. Second offenders will be barred from Madicon. (See exceptions for Costume Contest and Photography.)
4) Do not make any threatening or aggressive motions with a weapon. Violators of this guideline may be barred from Madicon for a first offense. (See exceptions for Costume Contest and Photography.)
5) Move carefully when wearing or carrying a weapon. Projecting points and edges may poke and jab other people, mar walls or furniture, and knock items off tables. You are liable for injuries, damage, or breakage.
Costume Contest Exception: Participants in the Costume Contest who feel they need to violate guidelines 1, 3, or 4 as a part of their costume’s presentation may request permission to do so from a Costume Contest judge. If permission is granted, that participant may perform the pre‐approved actions on stage only.
Photography Exception: Convention attendees having pictures taken may draw their weapons and pose with them in manners that do not raise concerns for the safety of themselves or others. Madicon staff members have the final say on questions of safety.
The purchase of a Madicon badge admits one person to all basic activities and panels at Madicon during regularly scheduled hours for the day(s) it is purchased. Some designated activities require payment of a separate, additional fee. In accepting this badge and in consideration for being admitted to Madicon, the holder consents to being recorded (by audio and/or visual means) for exhibition and exploitation by any means in all media, including without limitation the Internet, worldwide in perpetuity.
The badge holder releases Madicon from any liability for loss or damage to persons or property, infringement of any right, or any other claim or course of action of any kind; authorizes and permits Madicon and its designees which includes but is not limited to all sponsors, exhibitors and contractors to use and authorize the use of his/her name, voice, likeness and all reproductions thereof by any means and in all media now and hereafter known, including without limitation the Internet, for all purposes worldwide in perpetuity; and agrees to comply with all the rules and regulations of the convention.
Madicon reserves the right to deny entry or remove from the convention facilities any person who in Madicon’s sole and absolute discretion is behaving or threatening to behave in a manner which Madicon reasonably considers to be disruptive of the convention.
* Madicon memberships are non-refundable.
* Madicon memberships cannot be transferred forward to the following year.
We’ve collected some questions that are commonly asked every year. If you have any questions that are not answered here, please feel free to email the Convention Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll add them to the list.
Why hold Madicon on the James Madison campus instead of in a hotel?
The Festival Conference Center offers us a great space for our convention, and as a student organization we can use the space for free. This allows us to devote more of our resources to our guests and events.
Why isn’t there a children’s rate?
Madicon is a small convention and we cannot offer a special rate to children for financial reasons. Additionally, Madicon is primarily geared towards a teenage and adult audience. All children are asked to be accompanied by a parent or guardian during Madicon. Please note that some elements of Madicon contain mature themes and graphic violence that may not be appropriate for young children.